Extracurricular Spotlight: What Is Happening In The Band

Clarinets, saxophones, flutes, trumpets, and drums. By themselves each instrument sounds okay, but together they sound like a work of art. All the members of the EWG band blend together to make beautiful music. Band is a great place to make friends.    

Band director Mr. Charest meets with different bands on A day and B day. 

He also meets with 8th graders during Kight time, 7th grade band, and with jazz band 2 mornings a week. Sounds like a crazy schedule? It is. But it is worth it. 

Freshman band member Olivia Hathaway thinks that music makes you more intelligent. “Playing an instrument uses parts of your brain that you wouldn’t use if you were not playing an instrument. It makes me more intelligent, I feel that every time I pick up my instrument I feel smarter.”

“Playing an instrument uses parts of your brain that you wouldn’t use if you were not playing an instrument.”

Olivia Hathaway

Eighth grade band member Zoe Hall likes the learning experience of band. “I picked band because people told me that it was a good experience, and I wanted to learn something new.” 

Hathaway talked about how she joined the band. She said that she played flute in 5th and 6th grade, and wanted to continue her journey into music.  She also played in the Jr high band and really liked how enthusiastic Mr. Charest is. 

Hathaway said that she is really excited to play at the football games, concerts, and to make music in the band. 

8th grader Zoe Hall playing saxophone. EWG band is a great place to make friends and music.

Hathaway added that she liked being part of a group. “It’s not all playing an instrument. You make friends that you wouldn’t meet, and everyone there makes you feel so welcome.”

Hathaway talked about how she joined the band. She said that she played flute in 5th and 6th grade, and wanted to continue her journey into music. She also played in the Jr high band and really liked how enthusiastic Mr. Charest is. 

“It’s not all playing an instrument.”

Olivia Hathaway

The band is a place where you can learn new things and make friends.