EWG Student Brings Home the Gold as 1st Girls’ Wrestling State Champion

Wrestling. For years, this has been a predominately male sport. However, this is something that EWG student, Kamie Hawkins, aims to change.

Hawkins’ passion for wrestling spawns from a family legacy. Prior to her entrance into the ring, her brother Troy Hawkins paved the way as a feverent wrestler here at EWG from middle school all the way through high school. Not only this, but her sister, Daisy Hawkins, was also a wrestler here at EWG during middle school, and continues to participate in the sport out of district. However, after all her siblings’ success, Kamie Hawkins wanted in on all the action.

“I’m hoping to inspire more girls to do wrestling.”

Kamie Hawkins, EWG Student

To prepare for this competition, Hawkins poured hours and hours of effort each week into perfecting her technique. She commented: “It takes a lot of training to do, you got to prepare yourself for what’s going to come, but it’s all a fun experience.” Additionally, Hawkins knew that in this sport she was, “still going to have to wrestle boys, but that just makes you stronger.”

During the Rhode Island State Wrestling Championship in February, Hawkins became one of the first ever girls’ wrestling state champions. This year was the very first time that Rhode Island had a girls’ high school wrestling division. In addition to Kamie Hawkins bringing home the gold for EWG, her sister, Daisy Hawkins, was also a champion; making them the first ever sisters to win the state title. Kamie Hawkins commented: “[Winning] makes me proud because I worked really hard to go for it, and my goal was to achieve with my sister–she’s a senior, I’m a freshman–so the chances for us both to win is amazing.”

Parting, Hawkins had one final sentiment to share: “I think that girls should give [wrestling] a try, join the team. They won’t be the only girl there because I’m not going to be leaving anytime soon.”