I Want My PLT

EWG High School recently implemented a new program called Knight Time which runs the last 45 minutes of the day Monday through Thursday. This is a result of a team of teachers and administrators putting in a lot of work last summer and early this fall. My impression is that it has been a success with both students and faculty. Of course, there have been some discontents and misunderstandings. Since I am the one who does the placements, I’ll do my best here to explain how Knight Time and its various components work. It is pretty complicated, so I’ll do a TLDR here: check your email and follow the stated directions for the best chance at getting what you want. You can also skip down to see how students are placed in PLTs.

For those who want to know the details, read on. There are three basic activities in which students can engage: Silent Study, Personal Learning Time (hereafter PLTs), and Internships. For an explanation of Internships and how you get them, talk to Ms. Haines-Mayne as I won’t address them here.

Silent Study is self explanatory. Students have 45 minutes to silently work on whatever academic work they may have. It’s also a time to get help from available teachers and make up work they may have missed. Passes are required to leave a Silent Study. Exactly how a particular Silent Study operates will vary slightly from teacher to teacher, just like any class. Students who select Silent Study are always placed in one; with their adviser if possible.

PLTs are opportunities for faculty and students to learn together; There are NO grades…there is NO graduation credit. They are based on ideas that teachers or students have that are of personal interest; they are a chance for students and teachers to learn/explore different things. So far, we have had a variety of diverse, interesting offerings. Some examples are: 2D/3D Design where students learn to use CAD software to design things then bring them to life with 3d printers; Floral Sculpture Design; Digital Photography; SAT/PSAT Prep; Dungeons and Dragons; YA Book Club; Math Tutoring and many others. You are no doubt reading this in the school newspaper, The Mercury. So far comments have been very positive. Muffin Mania is definitely the GOAT as far as student selection so far.

So, how are PLTs created and how does a student get into one? 

Please allow me to elucidate. A survey is sent out to the faculty asking if they would care to offer a PLT or supervise a Silent Study. If the former, they title it and provide a description. There are a number of permutations here as a teacher may want to offer a 4 day PLT, offer 2 day PLT and Silent Study the other 2, or offer (2) 2 Day PLTs. Once this info is collected, it is placed into a form called Knight Time Session X – STUDENT Choice. Students are given several days to respond and receive notifications via email, Remind, announcements, and in their classes to fill it out. During KTS3 selection well over 100 students didn’t fill it out. Go figure.

Once the time for filling out the form closes, the sorting begins. First I place all the students I like in their 1st selection……………….just kidding, I hate you all. This is complicated, but I would like to assure you that I take this very seriously and do my very best to be as fair as possible and place students in something they have chosen. Below is an outline of the process.

1. Seniors are placed
    • Those who did not respond are placed in Silent Study (I am absolutely uninterested in hearing how this is unfair or in moving you to something else. Actions have consequences—in this case you have time to do your homework)
    • Those who select Silent Study are placed
    • First Choices are placed
      • If a PLT is oversubscribed I use a  random number generator to place people. People who did an activity before are not excluded from doing the activity again.
    • Second Choices are placed
      • If a PLT is oversubscribed I use a random number generator to place people. People who did an activity before are not excluded from doing the activity again.
    • At this point most seniors will be placed. Those who are not are contacted and given the opportunity to rechoose from remaining options
  2. Underclassmen are placed
    • Those who did not respond are placed in Silent Study (I am absolutely uninterested in hearing how this is unfair or moving you to something else. Actions have consequences—in this case you have time to do your homework)
    • Those who select Silent Study are placed in generic SS
    • First Choices are placed
    • Second Choices are placed
    • At this point most students will be placed. Those who are not are contacted and given the opportunity to rechoose from remaining options.
  3. Silent Study Students are placed
    • Students are placed with adviser if the adviser is doing Silent Studies
    • Students whose adviser is doing a PLT are placed with other teachers
  4. No student is placed in a PLT they did not choose

Once all the selection and placements are done, the data is put into a comprehensible form and shared with teachers and students. There is an Instructional Video . For the vast majority this seems fine, but there are always a few ……. questions.

FAQs

1. Why didn’t I get into the thing I wanted to get into?
    • People are out to get you and make your life miserable( and by people I mean me.)
    • A shadowy government cabal has targeted you for a sick psychological experiment
    • That’s just how the cookie crumbled (see above procedure)
  2. I didn’t choose Silent Study, why am I in one?
    • Maybe you did not. Probably you did not respond to the form in a timely manner or to requests to rechoose. Sorry, but you’re in a Silent Study.
    • Is it possible I misplaced you by accident? Absolutely—shoot me an email and I’ll check. If I messed up, I’ll fix it.
      • If, however, you messed up please just accept the consequences and know you can choose again in a few weeks.
      • Do NOT try to wheedle your way out of Silent Study and into a PLT.
  3. I didn’t choose Advanced Calculus Game Show, how did I get in there?
    • Either A. You did choose it OR B. I messed up. See above
  4. Can I switch?
    • No
  5. Why the heck not?
    • There are 458 Students in the High School. There is a large investment in time and mental energy placing students. It is up to you to choose wisely.
    • If you do not like your PLT, you can choose another in a few weeks.
  6. I really, really wanted My Little Pony Cosplay so I chose it for my 1st AND 2nd Choice. Why didn’t I get in?
    • If you do this, I place you using your 1st choice so your odds are the same as anyone else’s. However, if you don’t get in on the 1st choice, you are automatically placed in a Silent Study actually decreasing your odds of getting something you want.
    • Always read the directions.
  7. Is it possible I never get my first choice of PLT?
    • Yes, but the odds are low. We have 6-7 Knight Time Sessions left this year.
    • Choose thoughtfully. Absolutely make your first choice(s) your fave, but carefully consider your second choice. If you are an underclassmen, getting into Gym Time on a 2nd Choice is highly unlikely. Pick something a little less popular. The number of spaces available are indicated in the Knight Time Session X PLT Offerings document sent out along with the form.
  8. I have a PLT but need to make up a test with Ms. Zed, how do I do that?
    • Ask Ms. Zed and your PLT teacher when would be best to do this and get a pass.
    • Priority is given to academic requirements, but it is up to you to figure out what works best for everyone.

As with any new venture, there are bumps along the road. All I ask is that everyone realize that many people have worked very hard to make this happen, and you will guarantee your best Knight Time experience by checking your email and following directions. I know I want everyone to have a great experience. I hope this has been helpful.