Lost Alumni Remembered

Two weeks ago, EWG tragically lost three alumni; Brandon Verrocchio, Gianni Guerreri, and Alex Banner, to a car crash. The entire EWG community feels this loss deeply—following are some memories and expressions from the high school faculty.

A community is as strong as its members, and EWG lost three young, vibrant and loved members in Brandon, Alex and Gianni recently. Our community feels weaker right now, but with bright memories, we will become strong once again. We hope the support and love from the EWG school community will bring strength to the families of our three lost Alumni. Sending love and peaceful thoughts.

Principal Susan Chandler

I had Alex in class the first year he moved into the district. He was always personable, always prepared, always participatory and always, always had a smile on his face. I simply cannot remember Alex without a smile, and I know I speak for many on this one. Moving forward, I hope that image can bring comfort to many.

Tom Nuzum (History)

The English Department’s Steve Gardiner had the privilege of knowing all three of these young men. He wished to share the following:

The one thing I can say for all three young men is that they shared a love for life and having fun. I can remember each of them entering my classroom and I seldom saw any of them in a bad mood. 

Gianni was always a little tired because he worked late at night,but he always had a great attitude. I remember his narrative essays were particularly interesting as he told of his many adventures and he would often state, “Get ready to strap yourself in,” before relaying the events of the story. He told the stories with a mixture of comedy and reflectiveness that were memorable. One such story he told is of the time he came upon an accident and found a woman in her car, bleeding, with a broken ankle. The engine was on fire and he struggled to get her out until someone came along and helped him pull her out. He was almost embarrassed at the attention he received for what he referred to as “doing the right thing.” He was such a humble, good kid.

Alex Banner came to EWG in his senior year of high school and he admits that if it were not for Nolan Johnson and Aidan Zuercher taking him under their wings and helping him to adjust, he likely would have been a quiet, even forgotten student. You wouldn’t have known that by looking at him, however. He came in laughing and smiling every day and he fit in so well with the other students that I would not have ever known he was a new student. He was bright, funny, and he seemed to enjoy himself wherever he was. I will always remember his beaming smile.

Brandon was the funniest of the three boys if only because he was the most likely to be joking around all the time. However, he knew when it was time to work, and he would buckle down and do his work. He was polite, respectful, mature, and approachable. He was willing to help anyone at a moment’s notice, and he treated everyone well. I will miss his grin (when I would catch him goofing off a bit and he would hold out his hands in front of him as if to say, “I know, I’ll knock it off.” He was a pleasure to have in class.

Personally, the only one of the three that I had the privilege to know was Gianni. It was indeed a privilege to know this young man. He was unfailingly likable, a person to whom others were drawn. About five years ago, as a student in my American Literature class, he wrote a response to Arthur Miller’s The Crucible in which he reflected on what it means “to die with one’s pride and a respectable name” rather than “to die living a lie.” As I re-read these words today, I am moved. Gianni’s loss was tragic. As I reflect on his life, however, I am sure that it was true and honest. That is how I am confident he will be remembered by all who knew him.

In conclusion, Mrs. Jennifer Brennan of the English Department would like us to reflect on the words of Walt Whitman:

They are alive and well somewhere,
The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait at the end to arrest it,
And ceas’d the moment life appear’d…

May the famiies of these young men please allow me to extend heartfelt condolences on behalf of the entire EWG High School faculty and staff.

One comment

• Thank you so very much for your kind words. The EWG community is one of love and support. A community we are forever happy to be part of. The friendships Alex made his senior year are friendships I know he felt blessed to have formed and kept throughout the years at URI. I am sure Alex is looking down on us all with his forever smile.
    Peace & Love to the EWG Community
    Sharon Johnson
    Alex Banner’s Mom